Letters came through our doors from Tower Hamlets Homes, informing us that they will replace all doors of tenanted properties.
Quite amazing that the old doors are not fire-proof as they were put in not so long ago. It’s good to know that our landlord is vigilant and recognises and addresses dangers from fire hazards.
Of course leaseholders are expected to certify that their own doors are also fireproof.
I wholly welcome such an improvement to our safety and hope that all works can be carried out without problems.
All residents are asked to be espcially aware of nuisance callers during times of improvement works and always ask for identification prior to admitting callers.
The UK government has committed to reach climate targets by 2050 and there is the suggestion to replace all gas central heating with hydrogen central heating.
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com
That is a very long-term prospect but still relevant to us as it will cause major change if that indeed becomes reality.
I suppose for all council owned homes this will be installed by the landlord but all other homes would need to be changed by the owners.
That is just a estimation of what is to come and indeed of interest and I will follow this discussion with interest.
The government will serve a recall notice onto Whirlpool to recall all tumble dryers, look out for this as it may affect quite a few of our residents.
From Tower Hamlets Homes
We thought it would be useful and timely to share some information with you regarding a recent spate of fires that have occurred both London wide and locally in Tower Hamlets.
The London Fire Brigade have recently advised us that there have been seven fires across London in the last three weeks started by discarded cigarette butts. We have recently had three fires in and around Tower Hamlets’ properties caused by accidental/avoidable circumstances (one was caused by a candle and the other two from discarded cigarettes, possibly thrown from a flat above and blown onto a balcony and shed below). With the the hot weather forecast to last at least for another month, I thought it was timely I contacted you to ask for your help to keep residents alert to fire safety in the home and hopefully avoid further fires occurring.
The following advice is from the London Fire Brigade and reflects the causes of fires occurring recently in London:
make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your home
keep balconies free from clutter
please don’t leave rubbish or bikes in communal areas or obstruct escape routes
make sure you are familiar with your building and know your nearest exit in case you need to leave the building (note that your block is a ‘Stay Put’ block and therefore doesn’t have sounding fire alarms)
if you are a smoker please do not smoke in common areas of the block as this is dangerous and against the law too
always fully extinguish cigarettes smoked in your home and dispose of them carefully and safely*
Detailed fire safety advice is available at thh.org.uk including videos on fire safety which I’d be happy to make available to be shown at TRA meetings.
Next week we will be writing to all THH residents with this advice. We’ll also be reminding them about smoke alarms.
If they are a THH tenant and you do not have a smoke alarm please order one at My.THH.org.uk or call our Housing Service Centre on 020 7364 5015.
If they are a leaseholder, we strongly encourage you to fit smoke alarms. If they rent their property out, they must follow safety regulations which include gas and electrical tests, fitting smoke alarms and following all fire safety regulations. More information can be found at gov.uk/privaterenting. And alerting them to the LFB providing free smoke detectors.
* Putting cigarette butts into dried out flower pots without extinguishing them can cause a fire that can spread to neighbouring properties.
Also recommend not to have barbeques on balconies.
Following the tragic and shocking events at the Grenfell Tower block, which prompted some residents to post on Facebook how concerned they are for our safety, Tower Hamlets Homes has posted letters of assurance through letter boxes yesterday.
In our block all tenanted flats and houses have wired in fire alarms. Also residents can additionally install personal fire alarms in their rooms.
Free Fire brigade safety checks can be booked by phoning 0800 028 44 28, you will get a free fire alarm installed by the Fire Brigade.
People are advised to NOT have bulky inflammable goods stored on their balconies and keep all public walkways and areas free of rubble.
Caretakers constantly monitor the estates for safety. Here at Rosebery caretakers have moved away external rubbish and recycling bins from the building.
I think breeze blocks in kitchens are very important, both at the top and bottom of an outside wall, as they can prevent a build up of gas.
Most flats in the estate have gas supplies and even though most modern appliances have all sorts of safety measures built in, the breeze blocks still give a steady flow of air around our kitchens.
In some ground floor flats broken breeze blocks allowed pests into flats. I have noticed that most bottom breeze blocks in ground floor flats in Rosebery House have been made much smaller; also top breeze blocks were covered with kitchen cupboards; but will meet with a building inspector today to discuss the issue further.
Each resident should check whether their breeze blocks allow the air venting in their kitchens. In many cases the bottom breeze blocks vent the area behind the kitchen wall where gas cookers are located.