To make a real difference environmentally, it would be a great way forward to instal
- solar panels on the roofs of our blocks
- change existing gas central heating for ground heat
- forbid all use of gas cookers in dwellings
- Helping all residents to have induction cookers
- plant the area around houses with environmentally friendly planting, which needs little maintenance but attracts butterflies, bees, insects and small mammals like hedgehogs.
Of course traffic stopping measures are already being taken and ways to promote walking and cycling are most welcome.
What I do not support is the way Extinction Rebellion uses our community centre for activities, which are not ground breaking, e.g. planning events that spray graffiti on roads and interfere with safety marking, plastering posters over buildings and stopping traffic, which in itself produces higher carbon emissions.
I understand that the bees on the roof idea has been scrapped, I thoroughly welcome that decision and suggest we use the roofs for solar panels instead.