From Tower Hamlets Homes
We thought it would be useful and timely to share some information with you regarding a recent spate of fires that have occurred both London wide and locally in Tower Hamlets.
The London Fire Brigade have recently advised us that there have been seven fires across London in the last three weeks started by discarded cigarette butts. We have recently had three fires in and around Tower Hamlets’ properties caused by accidental/avoidable circumstances (one was caused by a candle and the other two from discarded cigarettes, possibly thrown from a flat above and blown onto a balcony and shed below). With the the hot weather forecast to last at least for another month, I thought it was timely I contacted you to ask for your help to keep residents alert to fire safety in the home and hopefully avoid further fires occurring.
The following advice is from the London Fire Brigade and reflects the causes of fires occurring recently in London:
make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your home
keep balconies free from clutter
please don’t leave rubbish or bikes in communal areas or obstruct escape routes
make sure you are familiar with your building and know your nearest exit in case you need to leave the building (note that your block is a ‘Stay Put’ block and therefore doesn’t have sounding fire alarms)
if you are a smoker please do not smoke in common areas of the block as this is dangerous and against the law too
always fully extinguish cigarettes smoked in your home and dispose of them carefully and safely*
Detailed fire safety advice is available at thh.org.uk including videos on fire safety which I’d be happy to make available to be shown at TRA meetings.
Next week we will be writing to all THH residents with this advice. We’ll also be reminding them about smoke alarms.
If they are a THH tenant and you do not have a smoke alarm please order one at My.THH.org.uk or call our Housing Service Centre on 020 7364 5015.
If they are a leaseholder, we strongly encourage you to fit smoke alarms. If they rent their property out, they must follow safety regulations which include gas and electrical tests, fitting smoke alarms and following all fire safety regulations. More information can be found at gov.uk/privaterenting. And alerting them to the LFB providing free smoke detectors.
* Putting cigarette butts into dried out flower pots without extinguishing them can cause a fire that can spread to neighbouring properties.
Also recommend not to have barbeques on balconies.